The Union’s Annual General Meeting takes place on 19th March in the Riverside East Amphitheatre at 4.30pm.
This is your chance to run your students’ union, and have your say in what we should be supporting and how the organisation should be run! As always, students have submitted motions to be debated on the day and they are as follows….
Title: Fundraise with RGU:RAG
1) We believe all fundraising at RGU should go through RAG. This doesn't mean that RAG will be given credit as such but simply act as a central agent and acting as a valuable resource from which students can utilise for their benefit.
AGM further believes:
1) RAG has been around for a long term and as such has the know-how and systems in place to organise and operate many different fundraising activities.
2) In using RAG as a fundraising body students can reap many benefits such as access for media platforms (FREE PR), access to a pool of volunteers and some equipment if needed.
3) Also RAG already has and intends on expanding its connections with local charities, something students can take advantage of. As well RAG will work hard to record student volunteering hours ensuring that students receive awards and commendations where entitled to.
1) All fundraising activities should be logged with (using the word with instead of through emphasizes that RAG wouldn't be taking credit) RAG.
2) RAG should act as an umbrella group supporting all sports and societies in their fundraising. It’ll be as simple as contacting us, letting us know if we can help you in any way and then recording a total with RAG i.e. a centralised database.
Proposer: Marty McGouran
Seconder: Steve Mills
Title: Take action on rent
1) The average rent price in Aberdeen is over £1,000, well above the Scottish average.
2) Rent in the North East is rising faster than anywhere else in Scotland.
AGM Further Believes:
1) RGU:Union should be taking action on rent to ensure that students’ are able to find safe, fair and affordable accommodation.
1) RGU:Union should affiliate to the Living Rent Campaign to campaign for rent controls in Scotland 2) RGU:Union executive should be mandated to work with the third sector to represent student tenants.
Proposer: Stefan Gheorghe
Seconder: Edward Pollock
Title: A better deal for catering
1) Catering on campus is expensive and unreliable.
2) Catering at RGU is run by one company which has no competition.
AGM Further Believes:
1) With the move to the new campus, RGU:Union should be supporting students to find good quality, affordable student meals on campus.
1) RGU:Union should lobby the University and Aramark to cut food prices.
2) RGU:Union should argue the case for an alternative catering provider.
Proposer: Anna Maria Bogdan
Seconder: Stefan Gheorghe
If you would like to make amendments to any of these motions, e-mail email@example.com with your proposed changes, referencing which points you would like changed, and these will be considered on the day!
Remember to come along on the day, there will be pizza and refreshments available and a prize draw with the chance to win holiday travel vouchers.