Shelterstone is RGU’s climbing and mountaineering club. We train every week at our indoor climbing wall and bouldering room on Monday nights and Wednesday afternoons.
We’re a social club for outdoor enthusiasts to meet likeminded people to go out and share epic adventures with! Membership is open to anyone with an interest in climbing, hiking or mountaineering who has a passion for adventure and making memories. Benefits of being a member include:
- Access to the RGU climbing wall and bouldering room during training hours
- Training opportunities with Mountaineering Scotland
- Weekend trips to some of Scotland’s most impressive mountain ranges
- Having a drink with your mates in a remote Bothy in the middle of a blizzard.
As well as our indoor training we try to do a variety of outdoor trips throughout the year. Some of our recent trips include:
- Student mountain training weekend at Glenmore lodge
- Winter hike and stay at the Loch Callater Stable Bothy
- Early winter traverse of the Aonach Eagach ridge in Glen coe
- A visit to the Gelder Shiel bothy in winter
- Our traditional club trip to the Cuillin ridge on the Isle of Skye
Outside of our club trips and training our members can often be found climbing on the sea cliffs that surround Aberdeen and would love to introduce climbers new to the area to the climbing right on our doorstep. No matter your experience there’s something for everyone here at Shelterstone.
President: Sam Wallace
Vice-President: Alice Grosche
With lockdown having many people lose their minds at the thought of being stuck inside, I and others are taking advantage of all this free time. We are using this opportunity to sit down and play a few hours of the “world’s greatest role-playing game”, Dungeons and Dragons.
Covid-19 has had a major impact on the fashion industry. With many fashion retailers having to temporarily close their doors, resulting in staff either being furloughed by the government or losing their jobs. Whilst, some local fashion retailers and well-known fashion stores had to shut their doors permanently as they were not hitting the set income sales target for each of their individual retail stores.
John Lewis, the heart and soul of the Aberdeen community, is to close.
With exams arriving there is a rush to the finish line. However, in order to help you manage, during what can be an extremely stressful time, Radar has compiled a list of handy revision top tips.