Starting your own society is easy! Simply follow the below 5 steps, and stop by the Union’s home on Union Way (under RGU sport) if you have any questions – we’ll help you every step of the way. or you can email email@example.com
1. Fill in a society application form (available here)
- There must be a minimum of 10 interested students to start a society
- Under “Aims and Objectives” put down as much detail as possible making it clear what the society is all about and what it aims to achieve.
- A brief overview of planned society activities for the year will aid any applications for financial support you make it as it will show that you are organised and focused on what you want to achieve.
2. Get it approved.
- We will look over your application and either approve or disapprove. We’ll let you know the decision via the email address provided on your application.
3. Choose your committee.
- Each society must have a President, Vice President and Secretary. If you plan to apply for financial support or raise your own funds you must also have a treasurer.
- Any other committee positions can be added at the discretion of the society.
- All committee members must be RGU students
- Details of the election process can be found in your constitution
4. Write your constitution.
- You will receive a draft constitution which you need to fill in with your committee members, aims and objectives for your society and society activity specific rules
- Make sure you read the rest of the information carefully and understand it before signing
5. Society induction.
- At least two members of the committee must attend induction training, preferably the President and any other committee member(s).
- Some important things you will learn are:
- What opportunities you have for funding as a society
- What ways the Union can support you
- Opportunities you have to be rewarded for your hard work
- How your views are represented and how decisions that affect you as a society are made