300g of Plain flour
1 teaspoon of Baking powder
2 teaspoons of Ground powdered cinnamon
1 teaspoon of Ground mixed spice
A pinch of salt
125g of Butter
300g of caster sugar
250g of Pumpkin Puree (Buy a large pumpkin and make your own!)
1 Large egg
2 teaspoons of Vanilla essence
2 large bowls, a wooden spoon, a large spoon, measuring spoons (teaspoon), a baking tray, a sharp cutting knife, potato masher and a sieve.
- Purchase a good sized pumpkin (after Halloween pumpkins are cheaper!)
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Cut off the top of the pumpkin removing the stock with it.
- Cut in half and remove the pulp from inside.
- Cut the pumpkin into slices.
- Place on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes and check if the pumpkin centre is soft if not return into oven until done.
- Remove skin from the pumpkin and place the soft centres into a large bowl and fill till all pumpkin is covered in water.
- Leave overnight or for up to 6 hours to absorb.
- Drain water from pumpkin using sieve.
- Mash until a soft puree is made.
- If you have a lot of pumpkin left over it can be frozen for up to 6 months – so even when all the pumpkins are gone you can still make these cookies!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 – 20 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Measure out flour, baking powder, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt and combine into a large bowl and set aside.
2. Then measure out the butter and sugar and cream together till fully combined in a large bowl.
3. Then add the Pumpkin puree, egg and 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence to the butter mixture and mix until combined and creamy.
4. Then add the creamed ingredients into the dry mixture (the flour and spices)
5. With a large spoon drop the mixture onto the baking tray and flatten slightly.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes till golden in colour.
7. Set aside and leave to cool.