Uni can be hard and expensive. But there are easy things you can do to make your time at RGU and beyond simpler. Here are 10 life hacks that every student should know:
1. Got no speaker? Put your phone in a glass to amplify the sound. This is perfect if it's your turn to host pre’s. You can also use this trick before you go to bed to ensure your alarm gets you up for those morning lectures.
2. If you’re nervous about a presentation get a friend to ask a question during or after your speech. By answering a question you already know, you’ll seem prepared and more confident. Often you’ll get more points for interacting with the audience and it will show your lecturer that you know your stuff.
3. When reheating leftover pizza, put a small cup of water in the microwave too. This prevents the crusts getting too chewy and keeps your pizza tasting fresh.
4. iPhone cables are annoyingly easy to break, especially if you’re sharing between flatmates. Take a spring out of an old pen and put it around the end of your charger to keep it in top condition.
5. If you’ve ever spent a night out in Underground you will know that your shoes can end up covered in red stuff. Put your shoes in a pillowcase before putting them in the washing machine. This will protect your shoes as well as stop the soles making too much noise.
6. Avoid watering down your drinks by using frozen grapes instead of ice cubes. They won’t flavour your drink and you can simply eat them or refreeze them after. If you’re making cocktails, use any type of fruit that goes, ie, strawberries, mango chunks, lime wedges.
7. If you’re worried about internet security or are just sick of everyone using your Netflix account, use an accented letter in your passwords. No one will be able to guess!
8. Take a picture of inside your fridge and cupboard before going to the supermarket, this way you’ll remember what you need and won’t waste money on what you don’t.
9. Use a voice memo app to record lectures on your phone. You can listen to them to revise anywhere like at the gym, on the bus or while you write an essay.
10. Finally, put a wooden spoon over a pot to stop it from boiling over. This is so simple but really handy for when you get distracted while cooking your pasta.