Here is our handy guide to Valentine’s Day baking. You can either make these to give to the person you love, or you can make them together to share the fun! Either way, these two recipes will be the perfect way to make your day special.
Heart-Shaped Shortbread Cookies with Jam and Icing
- 250g/9oz Self Raising Flour
- 200g/7oz Butter
- 200g/7oz Sugar
- 1 Jar of Jam
- 100g/3oz Icing Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.
- Add the flour, butter and sugar into a bowl, and mix together.
- Lightly sprinkle flour on to the work surface, and place the dough on top.
- With a rolling pin, roll out to a thickness of about 0.5cm. Then cut out shapes using a cookie cutter. Heart shapes are perfect for Valentine’s day.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until light golden-brown. Then leave to cool.
- Put the icing sugar in a bowl, add 1 teaspoon of hot water and mix together.
- To decorate, put jam on half of the cookies and icing on the other half.
- Lay the iced cookies on top of the jam layered cookies to create a double stack.
- 180g/6oz Butter
- 180g/6oz Caster Sugar
- 180g/6oz Plain Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 3-4 tablespoon of Milk
- 150g/5oz Raspberries
Icing and Decoration
- 125g/4oz Butter
- 250g/8oz Icing Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- Red Food Colouring
- 12 Raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Line a cupcake tin with paper cases.
- Place the butter, sugar, flour, baking soda and milk into a large bowl. Mix together until well combined.
- Put one spoonful of the cake mixture into the paper cases, then place 2-3 raspberries in the middle, and add anot her spoonful of cake mixture on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until risen and golden-brown. Let the cupcakes cool for 10 minutes.
- For the icing, mix the butter and icing sugar together. Mix in the milk and the red food colouring.
- Decorate the cupcakes with the icing and add a raspberry on top of each cupcake.