As a student at RGU, you automatically become a member of the Student Association (the Union). Under the Education Act, as an enrolled student of Robert Gordon University you have the right to opt out of this membership and not to be unfairly disadvantaged by reason of having exercised that right.
You may opt out of membership at any time by filling out the below form in writing and submitting it to the President (Communication & Democracy). Such a decision to opt out shall remain in place until you inform the President (Communication & Democracy) of your decision to re-join the Association.
The consequences for a student who chooses to opt out are:
- Not permitted to the right to vote in any Union elections, ballots or referenda.
- Not permitted to stand for office in any Union election.
- Not permitted to hold office in any Union club, society or group. Nevertheless, enrolled students at RGU may join any Union club, society or group and participate in their activities. The Union reserves the right to levy additional charges to such individuals if felt appropriate.
- Not permitted to participate in General Meetings, Standing Committees and other decision making body within the Union.
- Not permitted the use of the licensed bar facilities of the Union unless they are signed in by a full member.
All other facilities and services of the Union including help, support, advice and representation services will remain available to you as an enrolled student of RGU.
If you wish to exercise your decision to opt out of the Union, please fill out your details below and submit the below form to the President (Communication & Democracy) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the form here.