Shelterstone is RGU’s climbing and mountaineering club. We train every week at our indoor climbing wall and bouldering room on Monday nights and Wednesday afternoons.
We’re a social club for outdoor enthusiasts to meet likeminded people to go out and share epic adventures with! Membership is open to anyone with an interest in climbing, hiking or mountaineering who has a passion for adventure and making memories. Benefits of being a member include:
- Access to the RGU climbing wall and bouldering room during training hours
- Training opportunities with Mountaineering Scotland
- Weekend trips to some of Scotland’s most impressive mountain ranges
- Having a drink with your mates in a remote Bothy in the middle of a blizzard.
As well as our indoor training we try to do a variety of outdoor trips throughout the year. Some of our recent trips include:
- Student mountain training weekend at Glenmore lodge
- Winter hike and stay at the Loch Callater Stable Bothy
- Early winter traverse of the Aonach Eagach ridge in Glen coe
- A visit to the Gelder Shiel bothy in winter
- Our traditional club trip to the Cuillin ridge on the Isle of Skye
Outside of our club trips and training our members can often be found climbing on the sea cliffs that surround Aberdeen and would love to introduce climbers new to the area to the climbing right on our doorstep. No matter your experience there’s something for everyone here at Shelterstone.
President: Sam Wallace
Vice-President: Alice Grosche
You may have noticed in your town or even on social media that drawings of rainbows are being displayed somewhere new - on windows of homes across the United Kingdom!
Nigerian design collective, Ile Moremi will be showcasing a tie-dye textile, Adire, in their signature jumpsuits and basketweave jackets. The collection will be displayed at the Africa Fashion Week London 2020 this August.
Nominations for the upcoming Student Elections are now closed. Find out more as to who are your candidates for this year:
As of tomorrow, RGU will be closing its doors to all staff and students for the foreseeable future in order to meet guidelines set by the UK Government.