JOB TITLE: Marketing Manager
POSITION TYPE: Full time, permanent
ACCOUNTABLE TO: General Manager
CLOSING DATE: 2nd December 2020 @ 12pm
We are looking for a Marketing Manager to join our team. You will work to communicate the Union’s message to key audiences including a membership of over 13,000 students, plus staff, stakeholders throughout the university community, and commercial partners based locally and nationally.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone passionate about marketing to apply their skills and knowledge in a vibrant and creative environment. You will lead a small Marketing & Communication team, and will work alongside our Union staff, elected Student Presidents and Vice Presidents, and a volunteer-led student media group to drive engagement and participation as we aim to connect with our diverse student population.
You should have experience of planning and delivering multi-channel campaigns, increasing digital engagement, and creating fun and engaging social content. Each year the Union funds and supports a wide range of student societies, sports clubs, support groups and liberation networks, you will help us to tell their stories and raise awareness of their successes.
This is an exciting time to join RGU:Union as we undertake development of a new Union-wide strategic plan, and you will have the opportunity to create, implement and own a marketing and communications strategy which aligns with our priorities and aims. Strong project management and organisational skills are essential, alongside enthusiasm, creativity, plus a willingness to develop yourself and those around you.
This role is based in the RGU:Union offices on the Robert Gordon University campus in Aberdeen, however due to Covid-19 restrictions periods of remote or blended working may be required.
MARKETING & COMMUNICATION
- Develop, implement and review a marketing and communication strategy to support the Union’s strategic plan.
- Manage the planning and production of marketing materials to promote Union departments, services, Student Presidents, Vice Presidents, and associated activities.
- Co-ordinate the Union’s output across all media platforms and channels, including university-wide email communication, digital/social/web, and print.
- Lead on the creation of engaging and informative media content, with a ‘digital first’ mindset.
- Develop and execute marketing and communication plans for events and campaigns, providing advice, support and training to project leads when necessary.
- Review and report on the impact/success of marketing campaigns, making use of analytics tools and direct user feedback.
- Lead on the development of annual publications including Student Guides, Impact Reports and departmental productions.
- Effectively manage and protect the organisation’s brand and identity.
- Support the development, execution and analysis of regular market research projects.
- Lead on development and maintenance of the Union’s website, ensuring appropriate delegation of responsibilities to department-heads and student-led groups.
- Ensure a strong and productive relationship exists between the department and the University’s Marketing and Communication teams.
EVENTS, SALES & COMMERCIAL
- Manage media sales opportunities, including the recruitment of advertisers, sponsors and partners.
- Lead on development of commercial partnerships locally and nationally, including agency relationships.
- Project lead for annual commercial events including Freshers Fair, Student Housing Fair, Refreshers Fair and ad-hoc exhibition style events.
- Support the planning, co-ordination and delivery of headline social events, including Freshers Week, Graduation Ball, and formal award presentation ceremonies/balls.
- Co-ordinate the Union’s representation at University open days, applicant days and related promotional events/activities.
- Line management responsibility for Graphic Designer (part-time), Promotions Team (part-time during semester) and Media Intern(s) (full-time second semester placement), ensuring they have clear direction, support and opportunities for development.
- Support development of the Union’s student-led media group, providing advice, guidance and facilitating training when necessary.
This role summary reflects the key duties and responsibilities of the post at time of writing. It is not an exhaustive list of all detailed duties. Applicants should be aware that over a period of time, and as circumstances change, these duties and responsibilities may be required to change. It is therefore anticipated that from time to time the job description may be reviewed in consultation with the post holder.
- Educated to degree level or similar relevant work experience
- Experience of managing, motivating and developing staff
- Strong organisational and project-management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Creative approach and up to date with the latest marketing trends and approaches
- Experience of planning and delivering multi-channel marketing and communications campaigns
- Experience of increasing online engagement, creating and scheduling social media content
- Ability to influence and build trust with diverse stakeholders and act as an ambassador externally
- Ability to identify income generation opportunities and develop commercial partnerships
- Proficient in standard office software, website content management systems, plus social media and email distribution/monitoring packages
- High standards of professional ethics, honesty and industry
- Positive and solution-focussed approach to challenges
- Experience working in a higher education setting or with a representative/membership organisation
- Experience of briefing and liaising with external print and merchandise suppliers
- Experience of using Adobe Creative Suite packages for design and media creation/editing
If you are successfully shortlisted, we will invite you to an interview. Due to current Covid-19 restrictions this will take place online via Microsoft Teams. Our team will be happy to assist should you have any questions about attending an interview using this platform.
Robert Gordon University Students’ Union pursues a policy of equal opportunities in the appointment and promotion of staff.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, please contact email@example.com