Frequently Asked Questions

Have a look through some of RGU:Union's frequently asked questions to find a quick answer to your question. If you can't find what you are looking for, contact RGU:Union via the links at the bottom of the page or via the live-chat widget.

  • What do I do if I need an extension on a coursework deadline?

    You can submit a Coursework Extension Request. The form requires you to describe the extenuating circumstances that have caused you to require an extension, and to provide evidence of these circumstances.

  • How do I appeal a decision of an Assessment Board?

    Appeals can be made against the decision of the Assessment Board but only on specific grounds, with disagreement with an Assessment Board’s academic judgement not being a valid ground for appeal. All assessment results are provisional until they have been ratified by an Assessment Board. In general, Assessment Boards for postgraduate students meet in early November, February and June and Assessment Boards for undergraduate students meet early-mid June and early September. You should be notified of your results in the following week, and you will have 10 working days from when you receive these results to submit the Student Appeal Form: Academic Appeal - Award and Progression Stage 1. For further information, read Regulation A3-1 or contact RGU:Union Advice & Support.

  • What do I do if I have been accused of misconduct?

    Your School will notify you if you are required to attend a misconduct hearing. The RGU:Union Advice & Support Department can advise on how to prepare for such a hearing.

  • What do I do if I’m ill before my exam?

    You should consider whether you are fit to sit the exam. If you undertake an assessment, you are declaring yourself fit to do so. If you do not consider yourself fit to undertake the assessment, you should request a deferral of the assessment within 5 working days of the assessment in question.

  • What do I do if I feel ill during my exam?

    If you feel too ill to continue with an exam, you should notify the exam invigilator, and specify why you feel unwell. If you did not complete your exam, you should request a deferral within 5 working days of the assessment in question.

  • Who should I contact if I need money urgently?

    It may be possible for you to receive a Short-Term Emergency Loan. These are issued by the University and can be applied for by contacting the University’s Financial Aid Officer, either in person at their drop-in session or by emailing For further information, visit RGU Student Finance.

  • What should I do if I wish to make a complaint?

    If your complaint concerns a University matter, you should follow the University’s official University Complaints Handling Procedure. Stage 1 of this procedure will try to achieve a quick resolution to the complaint. If you are unhappy with the response you receive, or should a complaint require investigation, the complaint may be escalated to a Stage 2 complaint. For further information, visit RGU Complaints or contact RGU:Union Advice & Support.

  • Where should I submit my completed forms (appeal/extension/deferral etc..)?

    When submitting coursework extension requests, deferral requests, appeal forms etc... email the form and all accompanying documentary evidence from your RGU email account to your School specific email address.

Contact RGU:Union Advice and Support via the below links or via the chat-widget on this page, and to provide feedback on the service, please complete the Advice & Support Survey.

Map Icon  Email Icon  Phone Icon  Twitter Icon


Top stories from Radar

Poland abortion ruling sparks protest in Aberdeen

Hundreds gathered in Aberdeen to protest the court ruling passed in Poland, which introduced a near-total ban on abortion.
The protest, which took place in Castlegate on Wednesday evening, saw people from many different nationalities showing their support for Polish women.

Black History Month: The Films & Documentaries To Watch

Black History Month is an opportunity to educate ourselves, especially through film and documentary, on the history, achievements, and contributions of black people to society. In doing so we can delve deeper into the past, reflect on the present and hopefully look with solidarity to the future. Here is just a small selection of recommended viewing.

'The Force Is Getting Stronger'

Earlier this year our screens were graced with the cutest character in history- The Child (A.K.A “Baby Yoda”)!

Dress Your Pet For the Spooky Season

Halloween is a time best-known for getting into the shoes of another character (literally). For one night you can don that superhero cape you’ve always wanted to wear and be someone else. But it’s not just humans who can take part in the action…